On Thursday, November 15, 2012, the Pegasus Link Constructors Team, comprised of major equity members Fluor Enterprises, Inc. (Fluor) and Balfour Beatty Infrastructure (BBII), were recommended to the Texas Transportation Commission as providing the best value proposal, $798M, for the Dallas Horseshoe Project.
The Fluor, Balfour Beatty team was among three shortlisted teams, which included:
- Dallas Horseshoe Solutions (Granite Construction Co., CH2M Hill Engineers, Inc., and Traylor Bros., Inc.)
- NorthGate Horseshoe Constructors JV (Kiewit Infrastructure Group, Inc., Zachry Construction Corporation)
- Pegasus Link Constructors (Fluor Enterprises, Inc. (Fluor), Balfour Beatty Infrastructure (BBII))
invited by the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT) to submit detailed proposals to compete for the Horseshoe design-build contract.
The TxDOT implemented a pre-established and rigorous evaluation procedure to select the proposal that offered the best value. Each proposal underwent separate pass/fail, technical and financial evaluations. Evaluation subcommittees provided scoring recommendations to Evaluation Selection Recommendation Committee (ESRC), which then provided scoring recommendations to the Project Steering Committee. Best Value scoring was based on price, schedule, and technical factors.
The Dallas Horseshoe Project includes:
- Upgrading the roadway geometry,
- Replacing the I-30 bridge and I-35E bridges over the Trinity River,
- Constructing additional lanes,
- Constructing the Margaret McDermott Bridges.
In 2011, this downtown Dallas roadway was ranked the 7th most congested roadway in Texas, with weekday volume exceeding 460,000. Construction is estimated to start in early 2013 and expected to be completed in 4-years.